Saturday 7 March 2015

The day a Danish international Cricket played for Barry Athletic.

This is another story I have been told by former Barry Athletic Captain Dil Samuel.
 
In his time with the club, Dil was a regular for The Wales Cricket team and in his time had played against Demark and this how Ole Mortensen, yes he of Derbyshire fame came to play for Barry Athletic and as the story goes from Dil himself.
 
I knew Ole Mortensen, After he played for Denmark against Wales a couple of times in the early 80's and got to know him quite well. He was spotted and signed for Derbyshire.

Then when we were on tour in Derbyshire in 1981,  I contacted him and asked if he fancied a game against one of the regular opponents who usually put out a strong side.
 
He 'guested' for Barry against Langley Mill in 1981 whilst on trial with Derbyshire. He got 7 for 49 , six of them bowled and I remember that I couldn't get the ball off him because the Derby coach was watching.
 
I've got a booklet entitled Derbyshire's Dane which he signed..." to the boys from Barry" dated 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment